- Middle School
- Middle School
- Summer Health OR Geometry: 8th Graders Only
- Grade Reporting
- 2023-24 School Calendar
- Tesoro Information and Visit 2024
- Additional 8th Grade Parent Night
- College and Career Advantage MS Zoom Presentation
- 9th Grade CCA After-School Courses
- CCP - an A-G Elective at Tesoro
- School of Choice Dates and Information
- 8th Grade Elective Information 2024-25
- 7th Grade Elective Information 2024-25
- 6th Grade Elective Information 2024-25
- 5th Grade Parent Night and Taste of Middle School 2024-25
- Math Help
- CUSD Math Program
- CUSD GATE Program - Gifted and Advanced Learners
- Canvas LOGIN and Support
- Parent Canvas Account Directions
- Paper Tutoring - 24/7 Online Student Log In
- Paper Online Tutoring Information for Parents
- Wildcat Service Award Program
- Study and Organizational Skills
- A-G Sing Along
- Summer Registration Information for Rising 9th Graders Only
- Work Permits
- PE Clothing Order Form
- Counselor's Corner
- Summer School Registration for outgoing 8th Graders
- CCA After-School Course Descriptions
HOW DO I GET A WORK PERMIT DURING THE SCHOOL YEAR?
There are four steps in obtaining a work permit:
- Ask for a work permit application in the Guidance Office during the school year, or print out the form B1-1 Statement of Intent to Employ a Minor.
- Fill out the personal information at the top of the application, have the employer fill out the information required in the middle portion and have one parent sign the bottom portion of the application.
- Return the completed work permit application to the Arroyo Vista Middle School Guidance Office.
- Bring the completed work permit back to your employer.
AT WHAT AGE CAN I GET A WORK PERMIT?
Minors ages 12 through 17 are required to get work permits before starting a job. A minor under the age of 12 cannot receive a work permit except in the entertainment industry. There are a few exceptions to these rules. No work permit is required for the following jobs: (1) certain agricultural industry jobs, (2) odd jobs in private homes such as gardening and babysitting, (3) newspaper delivery jobs, and (4) self-employment.
DOES A WORK PERMIT REQUIRE SCHOOL ATTENDANCE?
Minors under 18 years old must attend school to get a work permit.
CAN A WORK PERMIT BE TAKEN AWAY?
Yes, the work permit can be cancelled and taken away at any time by the middle school administrator. In addition, a work permit can be cancelled at a parent’s request with good reason. Good reasons for canceling a work permit include: job does not fit legal requirements, hours scheduled create a truancy or absentee problem for the students, or job is causing student to fail classes at school.
WHEN DOES A WORK PERMIT EXPIRE?
A minor must obtain a work permit for each job. A work permit is no longer valid (or expires) when a minor quits or leaves a job. A new work permit application must be filled out for each new job. In addition, all work permits in the state of California expire five days after the opening of school in the fall. This is to insure that all minors report to school in the fall before continuing to work after summer vacation. Therefore, if a minor obtained a job and work permit in June and still had that same job in September, the work permit would expire. The minor would have to obtain a new work permit for the new school year even though it was for the same continuing job.
WHAT IS THE GPA REQUIREMENT?
Overall, a 2.0 GPA is required to have a permit issued during the school year, for summertime employment, the GPA requirement is not enforced, but it will be come the fall… so keep your grades up!
Please allow 24 hours to process Work Permits. If you have any questions, please see Mrs. Elgin in the Guidance Office.